Thursday, May 9, 2013

Costume Commission

Last summer I had a costume commission I had worked on. I had meant to post it on here, but I moved the day after I finished it and got distracted..... moving to Hawaii will do that...
So here I am, finally posting the project


Here is the finished costume, I was commissioned to make a costume that had a Revolutionary period look. However, I believe it is for a Cosplay for Prussia from Hetalia.   

Here are the pictures that were the inspiration for the costume.


There are a few differences between the inspiration and the finished piece.

I forgot to take a picture of the shirt in progress, but here is the vest before it was finished. I liked the idea of using a brocade fabric for the vest, I wanted it to have the look of nobility and wealth.

The pants look a little funny since the dress form is not designed for pants. The vest here is only roughed out and not lined. The pattern I had was not small enough for the measurements I had, so I made some adjustment before I finished it off. (It was quite the headache, but worth it in the end) 
 



I really like the look of the jacket with out the sleeves. I think I will have to make another one with out the sleeves. By the by, the gold edging is all hand stitched, it took some time but I wanted it to look more authentic and not glued on.

I used hooks to close the sleeves and the collar. I didn't want to have ties, I thought it would distract from the overall affect and it would have been too bulky.

Here is it finished without the jacket. The ruffle of lace is detachable and can be adjusted to any neck size. 

Finished piece. I really like how it turned out. The only thing I think I would change would be rounding the corners of the jacket. I don't know, but I think it would look better rounded off.

This project had a few hitches that made it a little frustrating to get going and finished, but all and all I am happy with how it turned out. I am still waiting for pictures of it being warn by the person who commissioned it, but these work well enough.

I hope I will get some other commissions to do some more things like this. However, I think I will need to do something simpler or charge more for something as involved as this.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You hand stitched all that gold trim? You are awesome. Love how you made the lace detachable. Looks very noble. I'd love to see the outfit in action... wonder if the person accessorised it with swords/sheaths or a hat. :3

Tegwen Ianthe said...

I know she had a hat for it. I don't think she has worn it yet... I would love to see it in action as well. I want to see how it fit and what not. I had some weird measurements to go off of, so I wonder if it really fit. She said it fit perfectly, but until I see it I will be a little skeptical.