Monday, May 13, 2013

Busy Semester

This semester has been full of a lot of fun projects. I wanted to take classes that were fun and would help me with costuming and sewing. So I managed to take Costume Crafts, Theater Make up, Tai chi and yoga, and to top it of with something more academic- Psychology of Love. 
I will post my makeup class work separate, here I am going to focus on the costume craft projects.


First- a Chainmail belt

This project was a lot of fun. I missed the first week of school, so I had to jump right into it.


This took a lot of work, but surprisingly, I really enjoyed making this.
Here is the belt in action :). I made it for my brother for his birthday.


Next project of the semester
Puppets!
Lucy the Slut from Avenue Q, I thought she had a cute design. The University is doing this production next fall semester and my professor is the designer for the show. She got a grant to have a puppet maker to come and teach us how to make puppets so we could get them ready for next season.

Close up of Lucy's face.

Look, we have a nose..... We were told to first make paper cut outs of the features to see if we like the size and design for the face.

The lips just after being cut out and placed on the face.

My brother thinks she looks like Gollum, I don't think he is too far off.

Her eyes are made out of kitchen spoons. I love projects where you can use found items to make the project perfect. :)

Lucy, I had a lot of fun working on her.
Here I am with my little girl. Oh she grew up so fast. We didn't get to finish the puppets, but all the pieces are done and will be assembled during the summer and next fall. The production will be the second of the season.

Sad to say I did not take any production pictures.  Buckram hats were the final project in this class. I love how my hat turned out. I fell in love with this fabric but I really didn't expect it to turn out so well. The embellishments on the hat are items I had lying around the house. The flower jewels are from a necklace an aunt bought me for my 18th birthday, the necklace broke and can't be fixed and look good.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Chainmail, puppet making, and hats too?! So jealous of your fun classes. I like how you repurposed the broken necklace into a fabulous hat!

fantummom said...

Great work with your blog and your projects! I really like that belt. It is so middle earth :)

Tegwen Ianthe said...

Thanks. I think this is the funnest semester I have had to date, and I might not have another one as much fun again. Then again, I am all about making the most out of life.