Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hiroshima

So yesterday I decided to go to Hiroshima. I haven't really done anything
since I got to Otake so I decided to just go and do something.
I called up my IC and she met me at the
Hiroshima JR station and we wen and had some fun.


First thing we did was go and get some Okonomiyaki Hiroshima.

We ate at the station, that restaurant is one of the most famous in Hiroshima,

and we waited a long time to eat, too.


Next we were off to the Hiroshima Peace Park.
Here we see the A-Bomb Dome

This is one of the only buildings that was not completely destroyed
when the A-bomb hit. It is preserved as a reminder and a monument.


If I remember correctly this is a goddess of peace. On the day the Bomb hit Hiroshima there were students there visiting. This is a memorial for them and their lives that were cute short.



There are colorful cranes adorning the sides of the monument.




Children's Peace monument.

This is the story behind the monument.
Also, the girl thought that if she could make 1,000 paper cranes that she would
be healed from her Leukemia, she died before she could finish.



I really liked this monument.
It really reflects the hope children have.

This is the Peace Museum.
I had a hard time in there. The first part of the museum is mostly fact oriented.
But the second part of the museum is very emotional, this is where you see artifacts from after the bombing and read the stories of the survivors. It is heart wrenching. I couldn't see everything there, I had to leave, my heart was torn from me, my heart broke for them.


Here we can see the A-Bomb dome, the fire of peace, and a coffin that holds the names of all the victims of the A-bomb through the arch. This is where they hold the peace convention.

This is the Hiroshima National Peace Memorial hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims


The sculpture in the center represents the time the A-bomb hit
"8:15"


Here I am ringing the bell for peace.
(Oh what a lovely picture....)
I have to tell you, there is a heavy feeling in the park, when you first get there it is mostly a feeling of reverence, but after you go through the museum your heart is heavy.


The entrance gate to the Hiroshima Castle.
Of course I had to go to the Hiroshima castle!


It isn't very big, but it is beautiful.
(It makes me sad that such things were destroyed, but thankfully they rebuilt it)

Hehe, Engrish! I had to stop and take a picture!

I was lucky. The lady who does this isn't there every day, she just happened to be there when I was. This is a Kimono for a princess.
Princess Celestia!

Samurai and archers wore this sort of thing. (at least I think that is what they were trying to tell me...) Don't I just look grand! I totally could kick butt! Whoot!

Last, but not least, Here is a high school that is located across the moat from the castle, I so wish I went to high school next to a cool castle! Lucky kids.
I bet they don't even appreciate it at all.


3 comments:

Ashley Serena said...

You're right, they probably don't appreciate going to school by a castle... just like I never appreciated all the temples in Utah until I moved to Japan. :P Kind of sad, really.

My heart began to feel heavy just from reading your post and looking at the pictures you took. Such a sobering place that must've been.

PS: The kimono is beautiful! And you could totally kick booty as a samurai. Female samurai. HECK YES.

Tegwen Ianthe said...

Yes, it was a sobering place. I am really glad I decided to call my IC last minute. I don't know if I would have been able to make it through by myself.

I totally would kick butt as a female samurai! Whoot! hehe.

Tonya said...

Yay thanks for showing me your blog! Now I can stalk you permanently ;)